Congratulations on being selected as a HOBY Ambassador!
We look forward to seeing you at the 2024 Nebraska HOBY Leadership Seminar from Friday, June 7 – Sunday, June 9, 2024. To prepare for the seminar, please review and/or complete the following information:
- Register for the Leadership Seminar here.
- Download the final Leadership Seminar schedule, reminders, FAQ overview here. [Will be live/updated by January 15]
- Complete the mandatory pre-seminar confirmation forms by May 15 here. [Will be live by January 15]
We will see you at Ambassador check-in on Friday, May 31, 2024, from 11:00 am – 12:00 pm. Please contact us with questions regarding the Leadership Seminar at firstname.lastname@example.org.
LEADERSHIP SEMINAR RULES & EXPECTATIONS
So that this seminar may be conducted as smoothly and efficiently as possible, we ask that you observe the following rules. Any participant who does not abide by these rules and regulations will be dismissed from further participation. Your parents will be notified immediately of any violation of the Rules and Regulations, and they will be instructed to have you removed from the facility. Your school will also be notified of your dismissal from the program. *Click here to download a printable version of the Rules & Regulation document.
- YOU MUST MAKE A COMMITMENT TO STAY FOR THE ENTIRE SEMINAR, INCLUDING OVERNIGHT. If you have a scheduling problem, we strongly suggest offering the weekend to your school’s alternate.
- You must follow any COVID-19 and public health and safety protocols as instructed.
- You are expected to be on time for all seminar functions and attend all scheduled activities, including meals.
- You must wear your HOBY nametag at all seminar functions.
- No outside guests are allowed in or around the seminar facility except for closing ceremonies.
- You must stay within your assigned group during sessions. If you must leave a session, gain permission from your group facilitator and wait for an adult staff member to escort you. No ambassador is to leave the facility except for scheduled seminar events.
- Room visitation by members of the opposite sex is not permitted.
- No smoking, no drinking of alcoholic beverages and no unauthorized drug use is permitted.
- No weapons, including but not limited to guns, knives (including pocket knives), pepper spray, mace, and similar items.
- Any ambassador who has a medical problem that requires special care, treatment or medication must inform his or her group facilitator.
- In case of emergency, contact your group facilitator or come directly to the Operations Room. There are chaperones and facilitators available 24 hours a day and they can be contacted at any time.
- Lock your room door at all times, whether you are in it or not. Notify the security staff on-duty immediately if you need assistance.
- Use the “Buddy System” when moving throughout the facility without your facilitator.
- Payment for any extra charges billed to a room (i.e., lost keys, lost towels, movies, room service, etc.) will be the responsibility of all ambassadors assigned to that room.
- Ambassadors are not allowed to make room changes. You must be in your assigned room at the announced curfew and must remain in such until the start of activities the next morning.
- You must observe the morning wake up call, which will be one hour prior to the first scheduled activity each day.
- Respect the rights of other facility guests and enter only those rooms and floors in which seminar-related activities are being held. Keep noise to a minimum.
- Refrain from entering the Operations Room, except in case of an emergency.
- Personal electronic/communication devices (iPods, MP3 players, Cell phones, handheld video games, etc.) are not allowed to be used during scheduled seminar functions. HOBY strongly discourages participants from bringing these devices to the seminar, if you do bring these items to the seminar; they are your sole responsibility.
- The following attire is not permitted at any time: strapless/tube tops, tops with spaghetti straps, tank tops, bare midriffs, exposure of undergarments, short shorts, miniskirts, excessively tight clothing, clothing with profane or offensive language or graphics, torn clothing, and clothing with holes.
- Conduct yourself with the highest level of decorum, morals, ethics, and conduct appropriate for a chosen representative of your school.
- Makinzie Sketch, Leadership Seminar Chair: (402) 750-9311
- Jordon Rapp, Director of Operations: (308) 212-0596
- Bo Gebbie, Corporate Board President: (402) 968-5005
- Friday & Saturday: You will receive two HOBY t-shirts upon arrival. You will wear one on Friday, and one on Saturday. Jeans, shorts, capris, and khakis are appropriate to wear with the t-shirt.
- Shoes: Comfortable shoes are a must, as we will be walking frequently on campus.
- Saturday service project: You will want to bring an older pair of jeans/shorts that can be worn on Saturday during the service project. Comfortable closed-toe shoes are a must.
- Saturday dance: The theme will be Construction. Feel free to bring fun, but appropriate, attire and any “swag” that you can carry with you on Saturday for the dance.
- Sunday: “Sunday Best” but not “Formal Dress.” Think dress shirt / dress pants / tie / blazer / dress / skirt / pantsuit.
FYI Seminar Checklist – Don’t forget to bring!
- Bed linens – twin sheets, pillow, pillowcase, and blanket or sleeping bag
- Bath towels; Toiletries – shampoo, deodorant, toothbrush, toothpaste, personal care products
- Construction attire and/or “swag” for the dance on Saturday
- “Sunday best” attire for the closing ceremony on Sunday
- Comfortable closed-toe shoes for service projects on Saturday
- Umbrella and/or raincoat
- Water bottle; Backpack/personal bag
- OTC medication as needed; Prescription Medication (if applicable)
- Health Insurance Card
- Optional – money for seminar picture, seminar movie, HOBY Store items or vending machines
- A positive attitude and the willingness to have FUN!